Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What A Day.

Boy it has been quite a day. By that I mean a LOOOOOONG day. I have been runnin since I got up this morning. Toby had a doctors appointment this morning and they decided they wanted him to have an x-ray of his belly. So I came home to let the kids run around for a minute, potty, and have a snack. Then we went in to Effingham (about 12 miles away) to go to the hospital for an x-ray. Well it was an interesting experience to say the least. But it was quite comical.

Ok, Toby is a very outgoing 2 1/2 year old, and he is very sociable, under certain conditions. If he knows you he is quite the jabber-box. If he dosent know you he is still quite friendly, but he is very cautious, borderline shy.

Well, we got to the hospital and he was entertaining all of the older people in the registration area and everything was fine. Well then the x-ray tech came for us. I went to school with this guy and he graduated with my sisters class, so we made small talk on the way back to the x-ray room. Toby was still happy as a lark. THEN we step into the x-ray room where there are big machines and 3 other people. Toby decided that the safest place was to be behind me hanging on to my shirt. So we get him to stand where they needed him to stand and then they moved the machine closer to him. This was not so kosher. He started to cry. Well we remembered that he had jeans on with a metal snap. So the x-ray tech asked Toby if he could pull his pants down for a minute. Toby promptly replied "ahhhhh no, I dont know you." Well we got a good laugh outta that, then I helped him pull his pants down, which led to more crying. So then we had to lay him on the x-ray table. Toby didn't have his pants on and I know that table was COLD! More crying ensued. Finally we were all done. The x-ray tech came out from behind the wall and helped Toby pull his pants up and try to make friends with him. Toby looked at him and said in a rather stern way "THAT WAS NOT NICE!!! I'M GONNA TELL MY MEMAW!!!!!" We started to laugh and the x-ray tech said "I know your memaw and I dont think she will get mad at me." Toby glared at him and said "WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT." We all busted out laughing. Well then we went to leave and I said Toby aren't you gonna thank him for helping us. He promptly said "Well no!!!!" I told him he really needed to so he looked at the floor and said "Sure....thanks, but I'm still tellin Memaw." This was quite an adventure.

So we FINALLY got home and got settled down and by that time it was late in the afternoon and Jay walked in from work. So like always the kids were bouncin offa the walls hollerin DADDY DADDY DADDY......Jay was tryin to talk to me, the dog was barkin, and the phone was ringing. I have had my cochlears for about 3 weeks now and I have never done this yet, but this evening I had no choice. I looked at Jay and said dude I need a break and I took off my processors for about 20 minutes. I swore to myself that I would never do that, but I just couldn't take it all in anymore. So I took off my ears, went out on the porch and regrouped my thoughts.

I have been waiting to hear for so long I never imagined that I would want to take off my processors. I feel kinda guilty. Here I have been waiting for so long to hear all the good and bad sounds, and it just got to be too much at that particular moment. I must admit that there have been other times that I have been overwhelmed, but I never took off my ears. I guess I shouldn't yell at myself too much, maybe I'm over thinking this.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bobbi

    Don't feel bad. The very first thing I used to do when I got home from work, was take my aids. I really needed a break after straining to hear all day, and the assault of loud noises. It really does wear you down, and you need that regrouping time. I still do it now sometimes the noise of the truck and the CB get too much and I need to shut everything off. Hope all is well with Toby!!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi,
    Hi girl You are doing just fine!! My goodness you had quite a day there and I can only imagine the stress you must of felt also with your child having to go through all this.
    Did they find out what is wrong with his little belly? I had been wondering how you are doing with your new hearing and Chris gave me your new blog site. I will have to do some reading to catch up with you.
    There is nothing wrong with taking a break from hearing just don't let it to long of breaks because I think your brain is working hard to remember things. I don't know much about cochlear and how it works but I am sure it like a hearing aid. I know if I take off my aid for long period during the day I just don't hear as well when I put it back on. So I hardly ever take mine off unless there is so much noise I just can't stand it.
    I am so glad you are doing so good at hearing.

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys. I really try not to take them off, and usually I get thru....but that day was just way too much. Toby is doing better. He was really backed up and he couldnt get hardly anything to pass. They thought his rectum might be too small since others in my family have had that problem before. They are sapposta let me know what they found tomorrow. Thanks again Chris and Sherry. How are you guys doin???

    Love
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete