Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just An Update

Hi ya'll. It has been 12 days since my activation. Things are going good, although aggravating at times. Right now background noise is still EXTREMELY loud and voices are chipmunks. It's still really hard to make out speech. It's like everyone is mumbling. The wonderful and EXTREMELY frustrating part is that I can hear the buttons on Jay's phone clicking across the room when he is txt'ing......yet I cannot make out speech as well. But I am assured by all of my friends that have done this before me that this is normal and it will get better. I sure hope so.



At first I could make out what Jay was saying to me when he was standing behind me. Now I have to be looking at him. I will say one good thing, lipreading isn't as taxing as it use to be. And another COOL thing is that I can hear and make out Toby yelling MAMA when he is upstairs and I am downstairs. That is WAY COOL!!!!!! Even with all the frustrations of learning to hear again if I had it to do all over again I would do it all again, without a doubt. I know that this will all get better. Even if I never got more than I have now it is ALL worth it. I can tell when someone is talking, I can't make out much of what they are saying right now without lipreading, but I know that someone is speaking.



Oh and another cool yet frustrating thing that happened yesterday. I was outside with Jay and I kept hearing this little sound. I couldn't make out what it was so I stopped what I was doin and I concentrated on the sound. After a minute I could make out the "cheep cheep" sound. It was a bird. I was so amazed I cried. I cried number one cause I ACTUALLY HEARD a bird. Number two I cried cause I can hear a bird, yet can't understand most speech yet. I also heard the phone ring from upstairs yesterday. I have a captioning phone and you can set the ringer to what Jay calls an earsplitting ring. Evidently it is very loud. Anyway I was upstairs putting away the day's laundry and when the lights flashed I heard a sound with it (my lights flash when the phone rings, doorbell rings, fire alarm goes off, etc). I was so amazed that after that phone call I called my mom and made her call me back just so I could hear the phone ring again......LOL.



This journey of mine is frustrating at times, but it is all worth it and time can only make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment