Saturday, March 21, 2009

New Program..HOLY COW...What a difference

I went to my audiologist yesterday and I must admit when I first went in I was more than alittle frustrated. Background noise was overwhelming, my voice was WAY WAY WAY louder than anything else, even though people assured me that I was almost whispering, and when people spoke it was like they were mumbling. I started with my appointment almost in tears. She told me to chill out and she would play with the programming.

So she told me that there are 2 different ways to fire the electrodes. They can fire the electrodes one at a time really really fast. This is called sequential or an S program. This is an older way of doing it. They also have where they fire them in pairs really really really fast. This is called Paired or P program. This is the newer way of doing it. Neither one is right or wrong, but one way may work for one person and the other way for another person. Well she has always had me on paired (P program) and she switched to S program to see what I thought. HOLY COW PEOPLE. This was making things better right off the bat. Then she said she wanted to try something else. I was also on what they call Hi-fidelity-120. Which is one of the newest things also. I'm not sure I can explain Hi-fidelity-120 yet but for all you technical people out there I will get more info and let ya know the difference. Well she changed me from that to what she called Hi-def. WOW!!

Now dont get me wrong......i still cannot make out all speech, and everyone still sounds like chipmunks, BUT it is not as overwhelming as it was before. It is easier to make out words in speech, and it's like my brain isn't trying to fight the sounds. It's able to absorb the signals of sound rather than fight the overload of sound. IT IS QUITE AWESOME. Now it is also easier to do my listening homework and I know that my brain is adjusting faster cause after only one day I am on the loudest program she gave me and at the highest volume. This is a good thing. Although now that my brain is adjusting faster, I already need louder programs so I will hafta call her tomorrow and bump up my appointment.

The coolest thing that happened this morning is I asked Josie to go downstairs and see what Toby was doin. She came up behind me and said "Mama he is sitting on the floor playin and watching tv." She was BEHIND me and I HEARD her say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLO!!!!! I told her thank you and she left the room, I started to cry. Her voice is still a chipmunk, but I understood what my girlie said without lookin at her!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Bobbi! What a great post! So happy that things are going so well for you!

    Jennifer :-)

    ReplyDelete