Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nervous Rambling and Tryin to Figure Out How To Post Picts and Video on Here

Talk about nerves. I'm so nervous. I will hear the day after tomorrow. DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!!!!! HOLY COW, where did the time go. I'm speechless....(and for anyone who knows me well knows that is no small feat.) Josie is so excited. She just can't believe that mom will be able to hear on Thursday. I've been on YouTube replaying some cochlear implant activation videos. I know alot of them from the Hearing Journey forum. Even though some aren't captioned I still get alot out of the videos just from lipreading and seeing facial expressions. I'm not scared like I was with surgery......I'm just more of a curious kinda nervous. I know 5 years really isn't that long of a time period, but in a way it seems like a lifetime. 5 years since I have heard a peep. Even then I was wearing hearing aids so my hearing wasn't all that good then, but it was something.

I wonder what my June Bug (Josie) sounds like. We were having a silly moment today where we were just singing and dancin and goofin off while I was unloading the dishwasher. Jay says she sings really well. Before I became deaf I had was is known as "perfect pitch". I basically taught myself how to play the guitar as a young child. My aunt taught me the different chords, but after I learned where to put my fingers, I could play music "by ear" meaning I could hear a song once and within a few minutes I would be playing that tune on my guitar. I could tune a guitar with just listening to the piano. I miss those days. But anyway back to what we were really talkin about, Jay says Josie has "perfect pitch." He says when she sings a song off the radio she can either sing the lead part, or when she chooses she will sing the alto part. THAT'S MY BABY YA'LL!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear her. And to finally understand some of the songs that she sings offa the radio.

Josie is very understanding about my deafness. Partly because she is a very smart girlie. And second because about a few months ago she was really gettin frustrated about having to repeat something to me and she just threw up her hands and said "NEVERMIND" At that point I had had it. So the next day I did alittle experiment with her. I have done this experiment with some other people who have been frustrated with me not understanding conversation and it did wonders. So I asked her if she wanted to be hard of hearing for a day. I told her she wouldn't be deaf like mommie, but it would be very hard for her to hear so she can kinda see what it's like for mommie. She just having turned 6 years old said "bring it on mom." So I got a pack of the squishie earplugs (Jay works in a factory and hasta wear earplugs....sometimes he accidently brings some unused one's home) Then we borrowed daddy's gun muffs (these are like the old style stereo headphones but they cancel out most noise) So I put the earplugs in her ears, then put the gun muffs on her ears. She had to wear these all day. Well I made her last from 10am to about 5pm. Keep in mind that she is a very good lipreader, and if you dont believe me you should ask her PaPaw. He plays games with her without using his voice, just moving his lips. He is extreamly hard of hearing but he doesn't have the ability to lipread. So he thinks it's EXTREAMLY important for her and Toby to learn lipreading in case they ever need it. I have a smart dad. It also helps that when they get in trouble I dont say "Look me in the eyes" I say "Look at my Lips." Anyway, she kept saying huh......what was that.......say again. She got TOTALLY upset with the tv and just walked away from it. She couldn't understand why toby would after awhile of trying to tell her somethin he would just say nevermind and just walk off. Well I felt bad for her cause by 5pm she was in tears. Ever since then she doesn't mind repeating things to mommie. I felt like a horrible mom, but it was the only way I knew to make her understand.

I'm not sure why I told that story, but I have already typed it and there must be a reason so I'm not gonna delete it.

I cant wait to hear her sing. And I can't wait to hear the Monkey Man from Alcatraz (Toby). I wanna hear him yell at Josie. He gets the cutest angry face I have ever seen and he will proceed to let sissy know what's on his mind. I want to hear that. I want to hear Jay say "hey baby" as he walks in the door from work. I see him say it everyday. I want to hear it. I want to hear running water. I want to hear Yoyo Ma play the chello again. I want to hear the song I had sung to my hubbie at my wedding (And I Love You So by Don Mclean).

I am also trying to figure out how to post pictures and video on this blog. Jay will be video taping my activation and I thought I would post it on here. IF I can figure out how to do that. So if anyone has the know how I would sure appreciate it.

We will see what the hearing world is like in 37 hours. Heaven help me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bobbi,

    I know that nervous energy you are feeling. You will hear on your activation day and I am excited for you - remember some things take time for the brain to learn and adjust to.

    I have put pictures up on my blog, but not a video. When you are typing in your post, on the toolbar, just above, there is an icon for "Add Image" and another one for "Add Video". If you roll your mouse over these you will see the words. Click on the one you want to do and you will get a window that will allow you to "Browse" to the file you want to add. Look at the layout choices and choose how you want it to look with the text, then click upload. I hope this helps.
    I will be traveling without a computer, so I will miss your activation post when it first comes out, but I will look for it when I get home. Have a great activiation day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenice,

    Thank you so much. Tomarrow is gonna be such a great day. Thank you for telling me how to add video. Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete